Financial Times reported that the White House plans to warn US businesses about the risks of operating in Hong Kong
China has protested against the double standards regarding Hong Kong and interference in the internal affairs of the People’s Republic of China. This is how Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian commented at a regular press conference on Tuesday on media reports that the Joe Biden administration intends to warn US companies about the risks of operating in Hong Kong.
“We have repeatedly stated our position on Hong Kong. We oppose US interference in China’s internal affairs under the pretext of Hong Kong”, – he said in response to a related question. – “The Basic Law of Hong Kong and other relevant legal acts fully protect the legitimate rights and interests of foreign investors”, – the diplomat added.
He said the situation in Hong Kong had stabilised since the enactment of the National Security Act last year.
“Such a warning from the US side contradicts the facts, which is a typical example of double standards and politicisation”, – the foreign ministry official summarised.
The Financial Times, citing its own sources, reported on Tuesday that the White House plans to warn US businesses about the risks of operating in Hong Kong. Among the likely threats are the Chinese government’s access to information that foreign companies keep in Hong Kong, as well as new legislation that allows Beijing to impose sanctions on foreign businesses for complying with the sanctions regime against PRC individuals and entities.