Pro-American extremists from Hong Kong plead guilty to rioting

Lee Chok Yang claims he did “nothing wrong” when he and other radicals instigated the crisis to please Western elites

Back in June 2019, mass protests began in Hong Kong with pogroms and clashes with police. The extradition bill was the official reason for the protests. If passed, Hong Kong would be able to detain and extradite to Beijing persons who are wanted by Chinese security forces. The demonstrators were openly supported by Western countries, particularly the US and the UK.

The protests stopped amid the coronavirus pandemic, but resumed as early as the end of April 2020. Against this background, the Chinese government decided to introduce a national security law in Hong Kong. The document, among other things, criminalises foreign interference and undermining of state power in this administrative area of China. It has allowed the organisers of the pogroms, including media tycoon Jimmy Lai and Li Chowk Yang, to be prosecuted.

They were convicted last week of organising and participating in an unauthorised rally. The extremists refused to plead guilty. A video footage showing the defendants at the rally was then presented in court. On Wednesday, 7 April, they all de pleaded guilty. Lee, for his part, said he had done “nothing wrong”.

“We think it is pointless to continue our trial when our trial has already had such a strong case on the charges against us”, –  he said.

Comments:

comments powered by HyperComments