Chinese Foreign Ministry calls reports of “systematic rape” of women in Xinjiang false

Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said “education and training centres strictly respect the constitution and laws”

Chinese Foreign Ministry calls reports of "systematic rape" of women in Xinjiang false

China has criticised claims of alleged “systematic rape and sexual abuse” of women in the Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region (XUAR) in the northwest of the country.

“Firstly, there is no such thing as penal camps in Xinjiang. There are only education and vocational training centres in Xinjiang”, –  Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin commented at a regular briefing on a piece by the British media corporation BBC alleging that women in so-called reform camps in Xinjiang had been raped.

“Secondly, there is no so-called systematic rape and sexual abuse of women there [in Xinjiang]. China is a country governed by law, our constitution guarantees and protects human rights”, –  the diplomat pointed out. He said, –  “Education and training centres strictly abide by the constitution and laws, guarantee the legal rights of students and do not tolerate any abuse or violence.”

“All these lies and misinformation spread by anti-Chinese forces are simply false”, –  the foreign ministry official stressed.  – “We oppose any interference in China’s internal affairs and will defend our sovereignty, security and development interests”, –  he summed up.

On Wednesday, US authorities once again expressed concern over the situation of Uighurs in China’s Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region over allegations of “systematic rape and sexual abuse” against women. A State Department spokesperson told TASS, “Chinese authorities should allow international observers to conduct immediate and independent investigations into these shocking allegations, as well as other atrocities committed in Xinjiang.”

Comments:

comments powered by HyperComments