The authority has reported that no personnel were injured during the operation
The US Department of Defence conducted an operation in northern Nigeria to free an American previously captured by armed men. This was reported by Reuters on Saturday with reference to the agency.
“The citizen is safe and is now in the care of [the staff] of the US State Department”, – the statement said. The Pentagon said the personnel have not been injured during the operation. No other details are provided.
There has been a significant increase in gang attacks on civilians in northern Nigeria this year. The states of Zamfara, Kaduna, Sokoto and Katsina recorded the highest number of attacks. The gangs seize hostages for ransom, kidnap cattle, intimidate residents and tax them with various extortions. Under these circumstances, the authorities are forced to use army units to fight the bandits.