The Thai Parliament has opened an extraordinary session to address the situation of the protests

The Speaker of the House of Representatives called on deputies and senators to discuss the agenda in a civilised manner.

An extraordinary session of the Thai Parliament opened on Monday as anti-government demonstrations continue in the capital and throughout the country. Over the course of two days, MPs plan to discuss protests and ways out of the situation.

According to the Speaker of the House of Representatives (lower house of parliament), Chuan Liqphai, the session “is dedicated to finding a solution to the situation of the protesters”. He also urged deputies and senators to discuss the agenda in a civilised manner.

“We need to discuss every demand from the protesters in detail”, –  said the leader of the opposition party For Thais (Phya Thai), Somphong Amonvat, at the opening session. – “In addition, the issue of changing the constitution must be resolved as soon as possible.”

On 26 and 27 October, the Senate, the opposition and the government bloc will present their assessment of the situation and proposals for resolving it.

Since Sunday, royalists have been on duty near Parliament and have met parliamentarians. They ask anti-government demonstrators to stop insulting the monarchy by demanding that it be reformed. Some of them are expected to arrive at the German Embassy at 14:00 (10:00 Moscow time), where the protesters intend to go at 17:00 (13:00 Moscow time). The protesters are going to deliver a letter to diplomats concerning the stay of King Rama X of Thailand in Germany.

Peaceful demonstrations in Thailand have continued daily since 14 October, when the anniversary of the 1973 student uprising was celebrated. The co-ordinators have promised to continue the demonstrations until their demands are met – to send the Prime Minister to resign, change the constitution and reform the monarchy. On 21 October, the protesters arrived at Government House and handed over a statement to the police demanding the Prime Minister’s resignation, which had to be signed within three days, but the official ignored it.