Iran’s Permanent Representative to international organizations in Vienna, Kazem Garib-Abadi, expressed concern about reports that senior US officials discussed the possibility of conducting nuclear tests, and called on the US to comply with disarmament treaty obligations.
“We are deeply concerned about reports that senior US officials were discussing the possibility of conducting nuclear test explosions, which, if carried out, would not only be seen as a clear violation of the global moratorium on nuclear test explosions, but would also seriously undermine nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation and thereby international peace and security”, – said Abadi, whose words are quoted on the Iranian permanent mission’s Twitter.
In addition, Abadi noted concerns about the approval by the US Senate of a budget of $10 million to prepare for such a test, and called on the United States to “fulfill its obligations to achieve the goals and objectives of the disarmament treaties”.
At the end of May, the Washington Post, citing sources, reported that the possibility of conducting the first nuclear test since 1992 was discussed in the US Presidential Administration. The reason for the discussion was the administration’s allegations that Russia and China were allegedly testing low-power nuclear weapons. However, as noted, the discussions ended without any decision.
Last week, Hill reported that the US Senate Committee on Armed Forces had approved $10 million in projects to reduce the time needed to conduct a nuclear test.
The US Special Envoy for Arms Control Marshall Billingsley said Wednesday that the United States reserves the right to nuclear tests, but so far does not see them as necessary.Foreign Ministry responds to US allegations of non-compliance