Washington bargains for global security but calls for Beijing responsibility

The US is desperate to capitalize on a key strategic deterrence agreement.

China’s President Xi Jinping (L) and US President Donald Trump attend a working session on the first day of the G20 summit in Hamburg, northern Germany, on July 7, 2017. Leaders of the world’s top economies gather from July 7 to 8, 2017 in Germany for likely the stormiest G20 summit in years, with disagreements ranging from wars to climate change and global trade. / AFP PHOTO / Patrik STOLLARZ (Photo credit should read PATRIK STOLLARZ/AFP/Getty Images)

Washington continues to delay the final response regarding the possibility of extending the Treaty on Measures to Further Reduce and Limit Strategic Offensive Arms, which is also known as START-3.

Such a statement was made by a senior US official at a briefing in the US capital.

“We do not yet have a final decision on the issue of signing an offensive arms reduction treaty. Our focus now is on threats that go beyond the scope of this agreement”, – he said.

At the same time, the representative of the US administration assured that Washington would be more likely to decide in this direction if Beijing also announced its intention to sign the agreement.

“China has repeatedly argued that they are not striving for equality with the United States and Russia, that they will not enter the arms race. The time has come to confirm such statements with actions, demonstrating that China is a serious player in the international arena”, – the official said, stressing that “it is impossible to strive for a global level, but not take global responsibility”.

As News Front previously reported, the efforts of Washington have already ceased to exist one of the most important documents for global security – the Treaty on the Elimination of Intermediate and Shorter-Range Missiles.

Since 2014, the US has accused Russia of “violating” the INF Treaty while creating the 9M729 missile. The American administration claimed that the parameters of the rocket allegedly go beyond the limits allowed by the agreement. It was these accusations that Donald Trump used when he announced the termination of the INF Treaty. Many countries, including the US allies opposed such a move. Russia also called for a constructive solution and even convened an international briefing to demonstrate the characteristics of the 9M729 missile, refuting groundless accusations.

However, the United States and other NATO countries ignored the invitation. In the end, the United States achieved its goal and in the summer of 2019, the INF Treaty ceased to exist.

Comments:

Loading ...