The South Korean Defense Ministry said that adjustments in the conduct of maneuvers will not affect the defense capabilities of the United States and the Republic of Korea.
Seoul and Washington intend to adjust the scope of joint military manoeuvres this year to establish a dialogue with Pyongyang. This was reported on Tuesday by Yonhap agency with reference to a representative of the Ministry of National Defense of South Korea.
“Joint regimental maneuvers will not be held, but it is planned that exercises at the level of battalions and units in their composition will be held in the normal mode”, – the official said. – “Given the diplomatic efforts, the exercise will take place as agreed between Seoul and Washington”.
At the same time, he noted that any adjustments in the conduct of maneuvers will not affect the defense capabilities of the United States and the Republic of Korea.
According to Ryonhap, on January 21, South Korean Minister of National Defense Jong-Heong-du presented to President Moon-jae In a plan of work for the current year. According to him, joint staff exercises of the U.S. and Republic of Korea Armed Forces and Foal Eagle, scheduled for the coming spring, will be held in the mode of computer simulation, as well as last year.
At the same time, full-scale staff maneuvers are planned for the second half of 2020, during which it is planned to assess the ability of the South Korean armed forces to independently exercise operational control over their troops during wartime.
In spring 2019, the scale of the previously regularly conducted Key Resolve exercises was actually reduced, and the maneuvers themselves were transformed into 19-1 Dong Maeng. Last August, the United States and the Republic of Korea conducted a second series of these exercises, which took place in computer simulation mode. DPRK authorities have repeatedly condemned such military maneuvers and called on Washington and Seoul to stop the exercises near the border as they do not facilitate dialogue.
After the Korean War of 1950-1953, South Korea transferred the right to control its troops to the US to protect the country from the threat of the DPRK. The right of command of the Armed Forces during peacetime was returned to Seoul in 1994, but the right of operational control during armed conflict still remains with Washington.