The US administration does not believe the allegations that Iran intentionally escaped the killing of the US troops during the rocket attacks on the US military bases in Iraq, said the US Vice President Mike Pence.
The commander of the military-space forces of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Amir Ali Hajizade previously said that Iran’s missile attacks on the American base were not intended to kill soldiers, but were aimed at damaging Washington’s “military machine”.
“Ballistic missiles fired at the US bases… we believe their goal was to kill the Americans. We have intelligence that indicates that this was the target of the Iranians”, – Pence said on NBC, answering a related question.
On Wednesday night, the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps announced a retaliation operation for the assassination of General Qasem Soleimani as a result of an American special operation in Iraq. Land-to-ground missiles were fired from Iran at the Ein al-Assad base in western Iraq and the base in Erbil, where the US military contingent is located, who lead the international coalition against ISIS*.
According to Washington, none of the US citizens was injured in the blow, only material damage was done.
The US President Donald Trump made an appeal to the nation on Wednesday, where he said that Washington would limit itself to introducing new sanctions and continuing the policy of maximum pressure on Iran. Media later reported that the U.S. Permanent Representative to the UN, Kelly Kraft, sent a letter to the UN Security Council, in which she said that the US was ready for negotiations with Iran without preconditions to reduce tensions in the region.
*-Terrorist organization banned in RussiaPowerful explosion thundered in Baghdad