Algeria will present initiatives for a settlement in neighboring Libya in the coming days, Algerian Foreign Minister Sabri Bukadum said on Thursday.
“Algeria in the coming days will present initiatives aimed at a peaceful settlement of the Libyan crisis, a settlement exclusively inter-Libyan”, – the Minister said at the ceremony of sending humanitarian aid to Libya. According to him, Algeria does not accept the presence of foreign forces in Libya, regardless of which country they represent.
Earlier media reported that the Government of National Accord (PNS) of Libya officially requested military assistance from Turkey against the background of the offensive of Marshal Khalifa Haftar’s forces in the Libyan capital. It was noted that we are talking about “air, land and sea” military support to repel the offensive. Turkey promises such assistance to the PNS.
Marshal Haftar, collaborating with the East Libyan authorities, announced the start of a decisive battle and advance in Tripoli on December 12, which is still controlled by the forces of the internationally recognized PNS led by Fayez Sarraj. Libyan media report clashes between the forces of Haftar and the PNS in a number of areas on the outskirts of the Libyan capital. The offensive on Tripoli began in April last year, but no significant success was achieved by the LNA: each side continues to maintain its position by exchanging shelling and airstrikes.
Algeria, after stabilizing the situation inside the country and the successful election of a new president, decided to step up its foreign policy activities, especially in neighboring states.Turkish Parliament allows military to be sent to Libya