Russia is alarmed by the situation surrounding the Joint Comprehensive Action Plan (JCPOA) on the Iranian nuclear program, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.

“With regard to the issue of the implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action to Settle the Iranian Nuclear Program, we are greatly alarmed. This alarm did not arise today, not yesterday, in May last year, when the United States defiantly announced its withdrawal from this agreement.” – said Lavrov at a press conference in Moscow.

Earlier, the Iranian president said that from November 6 Tehran for the fourth time will refuse to fulfill its obligations under the nuclear deal and will start using centrifuges to enrich uranium at the Fordo facility by supplying gas to them. On Wednesday, Iran began delivering gas to centrifuges at a nuclear facility in Fordo.

In July 2015, the Six (Great Britain, Germany, China, Russia, the USA, France) and Iran announced the achievement of a Joint Comprehensive Action Plan. The agreement provided for the lifting of sanctions in exchange for limiting Iran’s nuclear program. The deal in its original form did not survive even three years: in May 2018, the United States announced a unilateral withdrawal from it and the restoration of stringent sanctions against the Islamic republic. Since then, Washington has been steadily building up sanctions pressure, trying to make concessions from Tehran.

Tags: ; ; ;