One person died and 12 others sustained injuries after a fire broke out at a hospital in Germany’s western city of Cologne on Monday morning, the WDR broadcaster reported, citing police.
According to DPA news agency, the fire broke out at Cologne-Merheim hospital.
Some patients and hospital staff suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, the WDR broadcaster said.
The dead person has not been identified yet.
The fire started on the first floor of the building in one of the wards and presumably spread rapidly due to the fact that many patients were connected to the oxygen line. Firefighters managed to extinguish the fire quickly.