Iran has begun enriching uranium and has said a third deliberate violation of the 2015 nuclear deal could come. It has called on the other signatories of the deal to find ways around US sanctions.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry on Monday gave the other signatories to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal a final 60 days to find ways to counter United States sanctions against Tehran or it would implement its third deliberate violation of the accord.
Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi told reporters on Monday that Iran won’t offer any further “deadlines” to save the deal, which the US pulled out of last year. The end of the latest 60-day deadline is September 5.
“The West should not criticize the legitimate decisions of Iran, but find practical solutions to convince us to stay in the deal,” Mousavi said. “We have no hope nor trust in anyone nor any country but the door of diplomacy is open.”
When asked if Tehran would withdraw from the deal entirely, Mousavi said “all the options” were possible but “no decision has been taken.”
Iran has reduced its commitments to the Iran nuclear deal, formally the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action or JCPOA, every 60 days in an effort to prompt other signatories of the deal to help Iran find ways around US sanctions.
On Sunday, Iran announced its intention to raise enrichment levels beyond the 3.67% threshold agreed under the 2015 agreement.
The announcement came less than a week after Tehran acknowledged that Iran had exceeded a stock limit of 300 kilograms (661 pounds) on its low-enriched uranium production.
Mousavi did not specify what the third deliberate violation of the nuclear deal would be.