Japan will not send military forces to the Gulf of Oman after last week’s attack on the two tankers there, Japanese Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya said on Tuesday.

“It is not clear who is behind the attack, and there were no Japanese citizens onboard [the tankers]. Attacks did not continue, and there is no need to send Japan’s Defense Forces there,” Iwaya said.

He added that Tokyo closely follows the developments in the region after an escalation in the relations between the United States and Iran.

Tags: ; ; ;