A suicide bomber blew himself up at a mosque in Mubi, Adamawa State, northeast Nigeria, according to local emergency services and a government official. The death toll is growing.
At least 50 people were killed following an explosion at mosque in Mibi, a local government official said. The initial reports revealed the number of 15 victims amid the attack.
“We were made to understand that there was a bomb blast at a mosque in Mubi and over 30 lives were lost. A boy about 17-year-old wearing a suicide vest entered the mosque along with other worshippers,” state police spokesman Othman Abubakar said, as quoted by the TV360 Nigeria broadcaster.
Moreover, the victims were sent to local hospitals. The exact number of wounded is not reported.
According to head of the Adamawa state emergency management agency Haruna Furo and chairman of Mubi north local government area Musa Hamad Bello, blast occurred in the early hours of Tuesday during the morning prayer.
Governor Muhammed Umar Jibrilla Bindow has already condemned the unfortunate incident, according to Nigeria’s Daily Post.
Bindow described the incident as “an act of wickedness perpetrated by criminals who are bent on destroying the hard earned peace in Mubi and other parts of the state.” in his statement.
Mubi is a town in Adamawa State, controlled by Boko Haram militant insurgents in 2014, but the militants were pushed out of those areas by troops in early 2015.
Boko Haram (meaning ‘Books Forbidden’) is an African terrorist organization affiliated with Daesh (outlawed in Russia). The organization is responsible for a range of kidnappings and suicide bomber attacks in Nigeria, as well as in several neighboring African states, like Niger, Cameroon and Chad. Since 2009 Nigeria has fought Boko Haram militants, who made global headlines abducting hundreds of young women. Troops in Nigeria, as well as Niger, Cameroon and Chad have engaged the terrorist militants.
Meanwhile, no one has claimed responsibility for the attack yet so far.