The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan posted a series of messages on Twitter about Saturday’s attack. It said that interviews with a number of survivors, medics, elders and other witnesses gave it enough reason to believe that civilians were among the victims.
Credible reports that at least 10 civilians killed in Kunduz Afghanistan air strike 4 Nov, UNAMA initial findings show,” it said.
The stance contradicts a US statement, which said that an investigation had found no evidence of civilian deaths.“United States Forces-Afghanistan (USFOR-A) has investigated allegations of civilian casualties in Kunduz province during the period of November 3 and 4; no evidence of civilian casualties has been found,” the statement said on Tuesday.
The New York Times reported that airstrikes carried out by the US military in Kunduz on Saturday killed at least 13 civilians, citing residents and officials in the area.
Afghanistan’s Ministry of Defense said one civilian was killed and five others injured in airstrikes in the Chahardara district in Kunduz. TOLO news reported that according to provincial council member Khosh Mohammad Nasratyar, dozens of civilians had been killed.