Finland’s National Bureau of Investigation announced on Wednesday that officers have apprehended two new individuals they suspect of involvement in last week’s knife attack in Turku. The NBI said the men were detained due to suspicions of having prepared to commit crimes with terrorist intent.
The nationalities of the two new detained men are unclear. According to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), the men had reportedly given authorities different answers to various immigration officials.
The men had told Finnish authorities that they were Algerian and reportedly told Swedish authorities they were from Morocco, an NBI press release issued Wednesday states.
The main suspect in the Turku stabbing incident was remanded into custody on Tuesday and transferred to a prison hospital in Hämeenlinna on Wednesday. Three other suspects were also remanded into custody, while a fourth suspect was released just before his scheduled remand hearing on Tuesday.
The chief suspect – a reportedly 20-year-old rejected asylum seeker who allegedly carried out the attack which killed two and injured eight others – faces two charges of murder with terrorist intent and eight charges of attempted murder with terrorist intent.
The three remanded associates are suspected of taking part in those crimes and face identical charges, according to the NBI statement.