Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir has said that his country was ready to open a new page with Qatar if the country committed to the list of demands made by the Anti-Terror Quartet.
The four countries are looking forward to Doha’s compliance with the demands “so that we turn the page of dispute,” Jubeir said on Friday at a joint press conference with his Italian counterpart Angelino Alfano in Rome.
Jubeir discussed with Alfano bilateral relations and the latest developments in the region, mainly the Gulf crisis and the situation in Libya, the Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) reported.
“We are simply asking Doha to commit to the principles” that have been proposed by the Anti-Terror Quartet of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, UAE and Egypt, he said.
The four countries decided to impose a diplomatic and economic boycott on Qatar last month over its history of supporting terrorism and extremist groups in the region. They also asked it to reorient its policies in order to ease the crisis.
But Jubeir stressed that the move of the four countries was not aimed at “harming” Qatar.
The Saudi foreign minister expressed hope that the Qataris would make a “wise” decision “so that our region becomes better.”
Turning to Iran, Jubeir accused Tehran of sponsoring terrorism and spreading hatred. He reiterated that Iran continues to interfere in the internal affairs of the region’s countries and supports terrorism by spreading its networks in other states.
The Saudi FM traveled to Rome from Brussels where he met with his Belgian counterpart Didier Renders and several other European officials.