The United States and Russia may announce a second ceasefire deal on Syria, covering Homs and Eastern Ghouta, around mid-August after expert Russia-US consultations in one of the European capitals, a source close to the settlement process told Sputnik.
Last Thursday, US President Donald Trump said that the US and Russia are currently discussing the second ceasefire agreement in Syria.
“It will be announced soon, before the next international meeting on Syria in Astana [in late August], around August 14 or 15. There will be expert consultations between Russians and Americans in one of the European capitals first. The ceasefire will probably cover Homs, and maybe Eastern Ghouta,” the source said.
The southwestern Syria ceasefire entered into force at noon on June 9 after an agreement had been reached by Russia, the United States and Jordan.
The deal was announced by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on June 7 after the first face-to-face meeting between Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump.