Francois Fillon was placed under formal investigation on Tuesday over allegations he misappropriated government funds, Reuters reports.
A source told France’s 20 Minutes outlet that the center-right French presidential candidate was charged with the embezzlement of public funds, the breaching of reporting obligations to the High Authority for transparency in public life (HATVP), an anti-corruption body, and the concealment and complicity in the abuse of power.
“He was charged this morning. The hearing was brought forward so that it could take place in a calm manner,” his lawyer Antonin Levy told AFP. Fillon’s lawyers have yet to comment on the developments.
Fillon had been expected to meet with judges on Wednesday over fraud accusations relating to undeclared funds. A report last month by Le Canard Enchaine accused his wife Penelope of earning €500,000 in parliamentary funds for work she did not do.