Attorneys for eight US states with Democratic majorities are pushing to prevent President Donald Trump’s new travel ban from taking effect. California’s attorney general has announced he will join the lawsuit, calling the measure unconstitutional.
California will be joining Washington, Maryland, Minnesota, Oregon, New York, and Massachusetts in challenging the travel ban before a federal judge, Attorney General Xavier Becerra said Monday.
“Last month, our courts put a lid on the unconstitutional and un-American Trump Muslim travel ban because Americans stood up and demanded it,” Becerra said in a statement, quoted by the Los Angeles Times.
“The victory for lawful permanent residents and current visa holders was welcome news for everyone, especially the victims’ families. But the fight for fair and lawful treatment of all who would seek permission to enter our country is not over,” he added.
Though the new ban includes numerous exemptions, including for lawful permanent residents and visa holders, Becerra said this was not good enough.
“The Trump Administration may have changed the text of the now-discredited Muslim travel ban, but they didn’t change its unconstitutional intent and effect,” he said. “It is still an attack on people — women and children, professors and business colleagues, seniors and civic leaders — based on their religion and national origin.”
Trump’s executive order temporarily restricting immigration from six Muslim-majority countries – Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen – is scheduled to go into effect on Thursday. The administration is citing national security and the absence of proper security procedures as reasons for the suspension. Democrats are calling the measure a fulfillment of Trump’s campaign promise to ban all Muslims from entering the US, and therefore discriminatory.