“It is not in Russia’s interests to bomb a humanitarian convoy. We had been seeking to achieve this aim for a long time — we had worked with the United Nations and the Syrian government. We made great efforts to facilitate the movement of that aid convoy to the captured, besieged city of Aleppo,” Gennady Gatilov said.
“Accusations that Russia allegedly carries out strikes on medical facilities, hospitals, schools, all this is also unfounded,” he added.
On September 19, a deadly attack hit a joint UN-Syrian Arab Red Crescent convoy carrying humanitarian aid for Syria’s Aleppo province. The tragic incident left 18 out of 31 trucks wrecked and at least 21 people killed, according to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
“[The opposition] was in fact the one to generally threaten consequences if the convoy was sent down the [Castello] road. Therefore, saying that Russia has some responsibility here is at least baseless,” Gatilov said at a press conference hosted by the Rossiya Segodnya International Information Agency.