On Monday, the United Nations’ Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said that the aid convoy crossed the conflict line in the Big Orem area of the Syrian city of Aleppo. Later in the day, UN officials stated that the convoy had been shelled and there were casualties.

 

The UN said that it is premature to name the party responsible for the attack.

 

“Around twenty civilians and one SARC staff member were killed, as they were unloading trucks carrying vital humanitarian aid. Much of the aid was destroyed. The attack deprives thousands of civilians of much-needed food and medical assistance,” IFRC said in a statement.