Several hundred passengers were evacuated from the Pulkovo airport in St. Petersburg on Wednesday due to a phone call about a bomb, an emergency services source told RIA Novosti.
“After the phone call, about 400 people were evacuated from the airport. The checks finished about 15 minutes ago. The bomb threat was not confirmed,” the source said.
According to the source, the call could have been made by one of the passengers running late for a flight. An investigation is underway. St. Petersburg was home to many of the victims of last year’s Metrojet Flight 9268 attack, which brought down an Airbus A321 loaded with vacationers returning to the city from the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh. The attack, which claimed the lives of 224 people including 217 Russians, was the deadliest air disaster in the history of Russian aviation.