Italy has strengthened border control on its frontier with France after a lethal attack hit Nice, Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said Friday.
“Reinforced controls at three land border crossings and rail… Our security agencies are at work,” Alfano said on Twitter.
The minister added that he had called a meeting of the country’s counterterror committee due to the situation.
The deadly attack occurred on Promenade des Anglais in Nice on Thursday night, when a white truck rammed into a large crowd of people that was celebrating Bastille Day and watching fireworks.
French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said that 80 people, including children, were killed in the attack. Dozens of others were injured and 18 of the wounded are in grave condition, according to Cazeneuve.
Earlier in the day, Alfano’s Spanish counterpart Jorge Fernandez Diaz said that his country had also boosted border controls.