One in five people found guilty of sex offences in Austria last year were migrants, according to government figures.
An annual security report said there were 986 sentences for sex offences handed down in Austria in 2015. The statistics show 204 of those convictions were given to non-Austrian citizens.
Turkish citizens carried out 31 offences and people from Yugoslavian countries were responsible for 32 offences. Authorities also found 20 German citizens, seven Nigerian citizens and 13 Afghanis guilty of sex crimes in Austria.
Meanwhile, 782 sexual crimes (79.3 per cent) were carried out by Austrian citizens. Out of all the crimes, 208 were related to child pornography.
The news comes after a 13-year-old girl who claimed she was forced to perform oral sex on a migrant has admitted she made it up.
The teenager alleged the incident took place in June at a swimming pool in Mistelbach, Lower Austria.
Bosses at the outdoor pool took quickly erected a sign stating ‘today no entry for refugees’. According to local news outlets there are several migrant camps nearby so the pool ordered a temporary ban and employed security guards to patrol the complex. Police started questioning the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, last month. She accused a migrant of forcing himself on her in the women’s changing room and demanding she perform oral sex.
The teenager who, along with other witnesses, had told officers the man had ‘dark complexion’ and was a ‘foreigner’. But as the days went on and detectives continued their investigation her story began to unravel. Up until a few days ago the girl had maintained the man had ‘slapped her bottom’ as he walked past her.
But Austrian authorities later announced that she made up all of the allegations. Police have had to recall their sketch of the ‘suspect’ which was drawn from the 13-year-old’s description.
Newspapers and online websites carried the story with photos of the sign and swimming pool. The false allegations came after a 10-year-old boy was raped at an Austrian swimming pool by an Iraqi who said it was ‘a sexual emergency’. The boy was raped in a cubicle of the Theresienbad pool on December 2, 2015. The child had to be hospitalised with serious injuries and his mother said her son has been crying himself to sleep every night since the attack.
The Iraqi man had been working as a taxi driver in Vienna and when reports emerged on Facebook police said they must be sensitive about cases involving migrants, who have ‘been through a lot’, but there would be zero-tolerance. However, police later officially announced the details of the shocking crime.
The 22-year-old attacker was jailed for six years.