The refugee camp could have been shelled from multiple rocket launchers used by al-Nusra Front terrorists in the region, the Russian Defense Ministry spokesman said Friday.
“Judging by the nature of destruction seen on photos and videos, the [refugee camp in Idlib] could have been either intentionally or by mistake struck from multiple rocket launchers, which are now often used by al-Nusra Front terrorists in the area,” Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said.
According to Konashenkov, photos of the site on social networks show that “there are no shell craters from aircraft ammunition and other traces of airstrikes.”
He also said that no flights were carried out by aircraft, Russian or other, over Sarmada in Syria’s province of Idlib near the border with Turkey where the refugee camp had been struck.
“We have carefully analyzed the information from the flight control area in that region on May 4 and May 5, 2016. There were no flights by Russian or any other aircraft over Sarmada.”
White House spokesman Josh Earnest also said on Thursday at a briefing that no US or coalition aircraft were operating in the area at the time of the airstrike.
A Syrian military source told RIA Novosti earlier in the day that the Syrian Army did not strike the refugee camp in the province of Idlib as well.