The French newspaper Libération reports that one of the terrorists who carried out the Bataclan shooting has been confirmed as a French extremist who was known to police.
It also reports that an Egyptian passport was found on one of the attackers the Stade de France, as well as a Syrian passport. Neither man has had their identity confirmed by officials.
The paper’s police and justice correspondent, Willy Le Devin, says police have identified the French national by his fingerprints, and confirmed he was known to police.
Bavaria’s state premier has said police have grounds to believe a man arrested in the southern German state in early November may be linked to the Paris attacks, after guns and explosives were found in his car.
“There are reasonable grounds for presuming that it might be related to the matter,” Horst Seehofer said in a speech at a local party congress of the Christian Democrats.
A spokesman for the Bavarian police said they arrested the 51-year-old on November 5th, but dismissed any talk of a link to Paris as “pure media speculation”.
300 hospitalised after Paris attacks, 80 in ‘critical’ condition, says hospital spokesperson.
The French Football Federation has announced that the planned friendly match Tuesday between England and France at Wembley stadium in London will go ahead.
“After discussions which established there is no special hazard preventing the holding of the match, we have decided to hold the fixture,” said a FFF spokesman.
The situation may change, he said, if the Football Association in the UK were to take a different view.
At least two Belgian nationals were killed in the Paris attacks, Belgian Foreign Minister Didier Reynders announced on Saturday, giving no further details.
We now know among the dead are at least two Belgians, two Romanians and a Swedish citizen, with UK prime minister David Cameron warning British casualties are likely, without going into specifics.
A number of countries in Europe have announced they are stepping up security measures in the wake of the attacks.
Belgium has said it is increasing checks at its border with France, Russia’s National Anti-Terrorism Committee said in a statement carried by Russian news agencies that the country’s security had been put on high alert while Italy has said it is reinforcing security across the country.
Similar additional security measures have been put into effect in Switzerland, the UK and Poland, among others.
The Eiffel Tower will remain closed until further notice, Le Monde reports.
Last night, the lights on the Paris landmark went dark after news of the killings spread.
France is to hold a minute’s silence at midday Monday, the prime minister’s office has announced.
People queue to donate blood at the Saint Louis hospital in Paris on Saturday morning
Cazeneuve: Authorities will authorise curfews if needed
Paris police have put out an alert about a black Seat car, with a foreign numberplate – GUT 18053 – and five-spoke alloy wheels.
The vehicle is wanted in connection with the attacks yesterday.
Members of the public are advised not to approach the vehicle.
Romania’s foreign ministry says two of its citizens died and a third was injured in the attacks in Paris, according to AP.
The news agency reports:
The ministry statement said the Romanian embassy was in contact with the families of the two Romanians. No details were available about where they died or who they were.
The ministry says the injured Romanian was treated at a hospital before being released.
Correspondent Angelique Chrisafis has been on the street this morning speaking to stunned Parisians.
“It is a bizarre feeling of shock and surprise,” said Pascal Bourgeois, 40, an engineer who was out early to buy the local paper Le Parisien, whose front-page read: “This time it’s war.”
He had been watching France play Germany at football on television when he heard the explosions outside the Stade de France live on air.
At the same time sirens began blaring near his home, not far from the other central Paris shootings. “I was just saying to a friend. We can’t stop living. We can’t not go outside. We have to carry on.”
Here’s the full piece.
Saudi Arabia’s highest religious body issued a strong condemnation of the attacks in Paris.
“Terrorists are not sanctioned by Islam and these acts are contrary to values of mercy it brought to the world,” a statement by the Council of Senior Scholars said, according to the Saudi Press Agency.
A witness at the Bataclan attack has told BFMTV that one of the assailants was white and appeared to be European.
“I saw a guy who was pretty small, white and looked like a European,” he said.
“He was just in front of the Bataclan and had a gun resting on his shoulder. Then I saw flashes and heard ‘Bam bam bam.’”
British prime minister David Cameron has been speaking to the media after chairing a meeting of the security committee COBRA.
He called Friday night’s killings “a horrifying and sickening attack” and said his thoughts were with the French people and all those who had lost loved ones.
“To the French people, my message is simple. Nous sommes solidaires avec vous. Nous sommes tous ensemble. We are with you, we are united,” he said.
Cameron said the UK should be “prepared for a number of British casualties.”
Two French police officials say a Syrian passport was found on the body of one of the suicide bombers at the Stade de France where a friendly match was being played between Frane and Germany, according to both AP and French television.
German media reports that a man was arrested in Bavaria last week with machine guns and explosives, claiming it was linked to the attack in Paris, although there is no police confirmation of this.
This is the report from AFP:
A man arrested in southern Germany last week, who had weapons including machine guns and explosives in his car, was “likely linked to attackers in Paris”, German media reported on Saturday.
Police in the southern region of Bavaria confirmed the arrest on November 5 during a routine check on a motorway, saying “many machine guns, revolvers and explosives” were found in the vehicle of the suspect.
However, the police spokesman would not confirm the link with Friday’s attacks in Paris that left more than 120 people dead.
“I cannot tell you what he was planning to do with the weapons,” he added.
Focus Online reported that the man was from Montenegro and that he has refused to speak in prison and not hired a lawyer to defend his case.
The Islamic State’s official statement taking responsibility for the attacks seems to have a key mistake, it mentions attacks in the 10th, 11th and the 18th district.
There was no attack in the 18th district, the Stade de France is in the area of Saint-Denis. It is possible the group has mixed these places up, although it does mention that attack earlier in the sentence.
This morning in Paris, locals put up a homemade poster saying “I am human” near the site of most of the attacks, in Place de la Republic at the base of the Marianne statue.
“We aren’t activists they say, just Parisians,” they said.
The Belgian prime minister Charles Michel has urged his citizens to avoid going to Paris unless “strictly necessary”. He added that security will be stepped up at public events in Belgium.
Nous demandons aux concitoyens d’éviter d’aller à Paris si ce n’est pas indispensable. Les contrôles seront renforcés ds événements publics
— Charles Michel (@CharlesMichel) November 14, 2015
14:11 The militant group says France is the Islamic State’s key target:
…having dared insult our Prophet, having bragged about fighting Islam in France and striking Muslims in the Caliphate with their planes which have not helped them in any way in the ill-smelling streets of Paris. This attack is just the start of a storm and a warning for those who wish to draw lessons.
13:58 In an official statement, the group said France is the “top target” of the group.
Eight brothers carrying explosive belts and guns targeted areas in the heart of the French capital that were specifically chosen in advance: the Stade de France during a match against Germany which that imbecile Francois Hollande was attending; the Bataclan where hundreds of idolaters were together in a party of perversity as well as other targets in the 10th, 11th and 18th arrondissement France and those who follow its path must know that they remain the principle targets of the Islamic State.
13:56 The North Terminal at Gatwick airport has been evacuated. Sussex Police have told the BBC it is a precaution because of a suspect package.
Nicolas Sarkozy, the former French president, has been speaking to the media.
We need to understand how such attacks are possible and grasp the consequences.
Our foreign policy must reflect the fact that we are at war. Our internal security policy as well. We need be able to adapt to ensure the security of France.
Sarkozy said his party would support the “drastic strengthening of security measures to protect the lives of our compatriots.”
Our nation must be united. Our history is full of hardship, we always knew how to overcome it, we will overcome this one with composure, determination and strength.
Hollande blames attack on Islamic State