Patrols and surveillance in Finland will be increased, says police chief, in response to series of shootings and suicide bombings across the French capital which left at least 120 dead on Friday. Meanwhile prominent figures in Finland came forward to express shock and condemnation of the killings.
Police patrols and online surveillance will be increased in Finland, in response to the terrorist attacks in Paris in which at least 120 people were killed on Friday.
Attackers armed with guns and suicide bombs stormed a packed concert hall and a number of other sites across the French capital on Friday evening. Eight perpetrators are so far reported dead.
In Finland, Interior Minister Petteri Orpo announced on Twitter that Finland will offer all possible support to France in the wake of the atrocities, and he offered condolences to those affected. He said that Finland’s terrorism readiness level will now be increased.
Finland’s chief of police, Seppo Kolehmainen, said that patrols have been increased in risk areas, and that online monitoring has been stepped up.
More resources will be directed at security around embassies, Kolehmainen said. He added that he expects the Paris attacks to have an ongoing visible impact in Finland.
“According to the security services Supo, the likelihood of an attack in northern Europe and the Nordic countries has grown, but remains low,” he said. “We must take this reality into account with our operations.”
Meanwhile prominent figures in Finland have come forward to express shock and condemnation of the attacks.
Foreign minister Timo Soini called the killings a brutal attack against democracy and the whole of Europe.
President Sauli Niinistö extended his condolences to President Francois Hollande and the people of France, and to the victims and their loved ones, on behalf of the Finnish people. “Finland will do everything it can to help France in the fight against terrorism,” Niinistö pledged.
Prime Minister Juha Sipilä posted a tweet in English expressing his shock at the killings. “Our thoughts are in France,” he said.
Former foreign minister Erkki Tuomioja said that the attacks bear the hallmark of the extremist group Isis, who have been responsible for a number of deadly atrocities in Europe and around the world in the last few months alone. “Many people have been involved in preparing and planning these killings, and the security mechanisms were overcome completely,” he said.